Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Ultimate Swatch: step two


If I had just gone by my bust measurements I would be ending up knitting a larger size garment. Here, you see a pink cardi that I think is similar to the one I am going to make. It is 19" across the back. So I did the following math.



My swatch was 20 stitches and 4.75 inches wide. I divided 20 by 4.75 and got my stitches per inch (4.21). I then looked at the pattern and found the number of stitches across the back of the size I think will work for my garment and divided that number by 4.21...that will give me the number of inches the back of my garment should be.

BUT, the ultimate swatch is the first few inches of the actual garment. If I were to discover that my project isn't giving me the size I want - ripping out the back and starting over when it is only 4 or 5 inches is not a disaster.







Here, Sterling is trying to help hold down the tape measure for me.


BTW: did you know that you can click on the pictures to see them bigger?

I just read a recent post by the uber knitter- The Yarn Harlot...read her post about swatches. She writes about it beautifully, with humor and adds much more wisdom.

No comments: